Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Aesop's Flowers


This morning, while doing my usual round of weeding and deadheading  (a task that makes me think of scenes from bloody British history or the French Revolution), the fable of the tortoise and the hare came to mind also. As a teacher and a parent, I have found myself referring to it to keep students and myself on track, and to remind my listeners, all aware that I might be sounding merely platitudinous, that the long term efforts will eventually bring success.  But the truth is always more complex; and this morning’s gardening forced me to face the fable's characters again. A crape myrtle tree has been in the garden for several years and each year it has grown a little and finally at the end of August, when all the other flowers are looking tired, it generally puts out a couple of stingy blooms; however, this year, it is for the first time covered and weighed down with magnificent plumes of flowers.  Clearly it has been following the tortoise plan and has been ignoring my exhortations (and curses) of the past years. On the other hand, I sit in amazement before the hibiscus bush, covered in plate sized eye-popping flowers; a mere two months ago, there were only tiny shoots as evidence of its life. I have to admire these blossoms today as tomorrow they will be limp and dull and supplanted by other eager blooms. These are the hares of the garden, fast and furious but soon wilted and lifeless. In truth, the garden and life has room for both. The slow and steady brings security and routine; but now and again we need our reckless day in the limelight, the time when things go right and we can radiate with success and enjoy our moment to bloom on center stage; and if others notice--that just adds to the pleasure!   

No comments:

Post a Comment